Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Mother of The Bride.....FINALLY!!!

My middle child has been with her boyfriend for about 9 years. They are both in their late 20's and have given me every excuse as to why they weren't married yet. Most often it was financial which I suppose I can get behind, but I didn't think of that when I got married. Then again, maybe that is part of the reason my marriage failed after 25 years. Who knows?

So when I was asked to doggy sit their chihuahua while they went to Las Vegas I really didn't concern myself with marriage. The only thing I half jokingly said was NOT to get married unless I was there to see it. I would not be robbed of seeing my daughter tie the knot. Of course they both laughed and promised me that it wouldn't happen and I knew it wouldn't anyway.

So, in the middle of the night four days into their vacation I get a phone call from my daughter. She is crying hysterically and all I can make out is " I got hit...". Of course I think she or her boyfriend got hit on the Vegas Strip!!! I start screaming "WHAT?? What happened?? Are you hurt?? Is he hurt??" and who knows what else! Then she says " No no no I got engaged!!" ( I think originally she said "I got hitched" now that I think about it.). And so the madness of a wedding begins.

So many things to decide and of course to buy. They are going to be on a really tight budget so we are scouring Pinterest and different wedding websites for ideas. She wants an outdoor wedding and after much soul searching they decided on a boathouse near a local lake for their venue. Its not terribly expensive but they are going to have to hire  a security guard and a clean up crew. Things that we didn't consider and didn't plan for budget wise. I am starting to believe this is just the start of unplanned expenses associated with a wedding.

So, next we will be moving on to dresses for herself, me, and the bridal party. She wants to keep it simple and as inexpensive as possible. We are going to check out David's Bridal first so that will probably be my next post. Its finally beginning to set in that I am HBIC (Head Bitch In Charge) as my daughter calls me, or more formally the Mother of the Bride.

Already there is stress as to who to cut from the guest list, who is being ushered by who, and other family crap. We are a blended family and there is Mother of the Bride, Stepmother of the Bride, Mother of the Groom, Stepmother of the Groom, Father of the Bride, Stepfather of the Bride and Father of the Groom. A very large group of individuals that don't necessarily get along with each other. I am hoping we can put aside all of our personal feelings and come together to see this couple off to a good start. My ex saying he didn't want to walk down the aisle with me is fine, but  asking my daughter to allow his new wife and himself to walk her down the aisle is out of the question! This is just one of the many things that are popping their ugly heads up. Again... I remain positive that we can get this wedding done without anyone killing one another, but we shall see.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas on budget friendly table settings, decor, music, etc I welcome you to comment below. Stay tuned for more exciting blog posts from me about this wedding. I might even post a photo or two of the dresses in the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment